Protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information is fundamental to the way we do business and we take responsibility to ensure every FINAEO employee agrees. Our range of products and services we offer financial professionals continues to expand along with the technology. But, no matter how our business changes we are committed to protecting and respecting your right to privacy and confidentiality.
Our Commitment to Privacy
FINAEO is committed to the protection of any personal information collected by it or in its custody, including any information transferred to a third party to fulfill the purposes for which the information was collected.
Personal information includes any information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. Examples of personal information that are identifiable include names, age, sex, social insurance numbers, health status, health history, financial information, transaction data, etc. It also includes information which can be matched with other information in order to establish an individual’s identity.
FINAEO’s Privacy Code
Our privacy code outlines our policies and procedures on privacy and describes the ways we ensure that your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information is protected. It is based on the ten privacy principles outlined in Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act also known as PIPEDA. Our adoption of these principles sends a powerful message to the general public that we have policies and procedures in place that control the collection, use and disclosure of personal information; it also reinforces our existing commitment to customer service.
Our privacy code balances the privacy rights of both you and your clients to ensure we adhere to the highest standards based on the following key principles;
We ask for your personal information for the following purposes:
- To establish your identification.
- To provide you and/or your firm FINAEO’s technology
- To protect you and us against fraud
- To provide ongoing access to other services of FINAEO
- To provide ongoing access to authorized third-party platforms
- To provide ongoing access to other products/services of authorized third-party providers
Your personal information may be shared within FINAEO or any of our worldwide subsidiaries, joint-ventures or affiliated organizations for purposes of data processing, storage or delivery of services.
Your personal information may be shared with authorized third-party agents or contractors in order to provide a requested service or transaction. For example, if we need to ship something to you, we must share your name and address with a shipping company. We only provide third-party agents with the minimum amount of personal information necessary to complete the requested service or transaction.
Your personal information is obtained and used only with your consent. We obtain your consent before we:
- Collect/distribute personal information.
- Offer you other FINAEO services.
- Offer you access to authorized third-party platforms.
- Offer you other products/services provided by authorized third-party providers
- Obtain, use or disclose to other persons, information about you unless we are obliged to do so by law or to protect our interests.
- Use your personal information in any way we did not inform you about previously.
Your consent can be either express or implied. Express consent can be verbal, written or email based.
Consent can be implied or inferred from certain actions. For example, if you would like access to specific FINAEO integrations, we must share your information with our partners to provide you the right experience and your actions would amount to implied consent.
- Withdrawal of Consent
You can withdraw your consent any time after you’ve given it to us, provided there are no legal or regulatory requirements to prevent this. If you don’t consent to certain uses of personal information, or if you withdraw your consent, you may not have access to all the FINAEO features.
- Exceptions to Consent
We may collect, use or disclose personal information without your consent only;
- for an emergency that threatens your life, health or security. We will subsequently inform you of this disclosure.
- if we must disclose personal information for legal reasons. We may be compelled to release this information by a court of law or other legal or regulatory authority. If so, our policy is to disclose the information only to the extent required.
- where collection is required to investigate inappropriate activity, such as the submission of fraudulent information, and the knowledge and consent of the individual would compromise the availability or accuracy of the information.
- We Protect Your Personal Information from Error, Loss and Unauthorized Access
Our employees who have access to your personal information are made aware of how to keep it confidential. As a condition of employment with FINAEO, each employee signs an agreement requiring all information that, by it’s nature, should be kept confidential and that they have access to be treated confidentially. We have security standards to protect our systems and your personal information against unauthorized access and use. This protects your personal information at all times when it is stored in data files or handled by our employees.
- Your Personal Information is Destroyed When It Is No Longer Needed
We keep your personal information only so long as we need it for the products and services you are using, to offer you products and services when you are a group and benefit plan participant and for a reasonable time thereafter, or to meet any legal, regulatory, or tax requirements. We have retention standards, which meet these requirements.
- You Can Obtain and Verify the Accuracy of Your Personal Information
You can check your personal information to verify its accuracy. Please note that we may not be able to provide information about you from our records if it contains references to other persons, is subject to legal privilege, contains information proprietary to FINAEO, is too costly to retrieve, or cannot be disclosed for other legal reasons. If we have obtained
information about you from other people, upon your request, we will let you know the person or organization we got it from.
- We Correct your Personal Information
Whenever possible, we will correct any personal information which we may have given to an outside organization. If a third party, such as a third party benefit plan administrator has given us personal information which you tell us is wrong, we will give you the name and address of that party so that you can correct the information.
- You can find out to whom we have given information about you.
If you ask, we will let you know the names of outside companies or organizations we’ve given personal information to, or direct you to the appropriate individual to ask for such information.
- We Respond to Your Request Promptly.
We will deal quickly with your request to see your personal information and always respond to you promptly.
- We protect other people’s privacy when we make personal information available to you.
There may be files that include information about you and your clients, or that have information confidential to FINAEO or are the property of FINAEO. Because we must protect everyone’s confidentiality and legal rights, we cannot make these files available to persons outside of FINAEO, without consent. However, we will make available to you any factual information about you contained in such files.
- We monitor our compliance with the FINAEO Privacy Code and are committed to upholding this Code.
We have policies and procedures in place to assist our employees in adhering to the FINAEO Privacy Code.
If you have any questions or complaints about our Privacy Code, or about how we are living up to them, let us know right away.
- Resolving Your Concerns Are Important To Us
FINAEO is committed to treating you with the greatest respect and consideration, and providing the highest level of service. If you have any concerns or questions about privacy and confidentiality – or any other concerns about the way a request for personal information was handled, you can take the following actions:
Contact our team immediately:
1511-150 Sudbury Street
Toronto, Ontario M3J 3S8
We will write or call to tell you the problem has been resolved. In more complex cases, we will advise you what further steps are being taken and when you may expect a resolution as soon as reasonably practical.